DOES MY BUSINESS NEED FIRE EXTINGUISHERS?
The first question that every business should have already been asked to consider as part of the Fire Risk Assessment is "Does your business need fire extinguishers?"
- The simple answer to that question is YES.
- In the UK it is a legal requirement for a business or workplace to carry out a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment of the risks of fire to their employees, and others, who may be affected by their work or business.
- You can access UK Government advice on Fire Safety in the Workplace and your responsibilities via the GOV.UK site.
- General fire safety advice is also available on the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) site.
Even the smallest of workplaces, including where members of the public have access, are suggested to have at least one extinguisher but ultimately:
- It is your fire risk assessment that should determine the risks and the number and types of fire extinguishers you need.
- A fire risk assessment will normally cover much more than fire extinguisher requirements.
Choosing your fire extinguishers and service provider
When choosing where to source your fire extinguishers it is important to ensure that they will be manufactured to an appropriate standard.
Fire extinguishers also need to be regularly inspected to ensure:
- They are serviced and maintained to the required standard.
- Fire extinguisher servicing should only be carried by someone who is trained and competent to do so.
Blackwood Fire only supply fire extinguishers that are, as a minimum:
- manufactured to British Standards (BSI); and
- approved to BS EN3.
In addition ALL of our service technicians are trained and certificated by BAFE (British Association of Fire Equipment).
Click on our Company Profile page for more details.
Our Fire Extinguisher Product Ranges
FirePower Fire Extinguisher Range
As a dedicated range of stored pressure extinguishers, the FirePower range is a recognised and respected brand in the fire industry.
The Firepower range of extinguishers:
- are supplied factory filled;
- have a working pressure of 15 bar to give greater application reach and improved initial fire knockdown.
- come with UV resistant paint and dual colour screen printing as standard,
- are both durable and striking in appearance.
All red coloured FirePower extinguishers are British Standard (BSI) Kitemarked and have, as a minimum, the following:
- Kitemarked to BS EN3
- CE Marked
- Squeeze grip operation
- Corrosion resistant finish
- Protective plastic base *
- Complete with bracket
*Excludes 2ltr Foam S/P model, 1kg and 2kg Powder models & CO2 models.
Please note that some extinguishers in the FirePower range are available in stainless steel in addition to the standard red colour.
These stainless steel extinguishers are manufactured to the same standards as the red coloured extinguishers but only red extinguishers can be kitemarked and approved to BS EN3.
Stainless steel extinguishers come with a highly polished finish and are ideal for environments where hygiene is paramount OR when considering architecture and appearance.
Amerex Premium Range Fire Extinguishers
Amerex extinguishers are recognised as probably the finest in the market and particularly for the quality of materials, manufacture and ease of service.
The wet agents are all contained in extinguishers constructed from:
- high quality stainless steel bodies, and
- 100% milled metal valves (brass and stainless steel).
The use of stainless steel bodies significantly reduces the total extinguisher weight and increases service life compared with the mild steel alternatives.
Due to the extinguisher’s longevity, Amerex’s strict recycling policy and the careful attention Amerex pays to all aspect of environmental impact, we believe that Amerex equipment will help you make an environmentally sound choice.
Red models are:
- BAFE approved to BS EN3.
Polished finish extinguishers are also available.
Please note that the polished finish in the Amerex range are manufactured to the same standards as the red coloured extinguishers but only red extinguishers can be kitemarked and approved to BS EN3.
The polished finish extinguishers come with a highly polished finish and are ideal for environments where hygiene is paramount or when considering architecture and appearance.
10 Year Guarantee on Amerex Fire Extinguishers
All our range of Amerex fire extinguishers come with a 10 year guarantee against manufacturing defects.
For detailed information on all the extinguishers in our product range, please browse through them via the menu on the right or contact us.
Types of Fire Extinguisher
There are several types of fire extinguisher and each type can be specific for use on a certain type of fire. It is therefore suggested that you seek advice before purchasing your fire equipment to ensure it will be effective in the environment in which it is intended to be used, and this applies equally if the fire extinguisher is for home use.
The main types of extinguisher are:
- Dry Powder
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- Wet Chemical