Who are IFEDA, what are their objectives and why we think it should be important to you
IFEDA, in their own words:
"IFEDA, the Independent Fire Engineering & Distributors Association, was founded in 1989, to provide an independent representative body of fire trade companies. IFEDA is completely unaligned to any manufacturer.
The objectives of IFEDA, as a trade association, are to support members and promote quality industry standards and procedures within the fire safety industry. This is achieved through:
- Ensuring members achieve and maintain a quality system in accordance with BS EN ISO 9001: 2008 in line with requirements of the appropriate BAFE scheme
- Ensuring members operate the appropriate BAFE scheme/s requiring the licensing of all service personnel e.g. SP101/ST104 for fire extinguisher servicing, SP203 for fire alarms
- Providing communication on key legislative changes and other industry related news
- Providing a bank of data, technical memos, and other relevant information
- To regularly produce newsletters keeping members informed
- To provide training courses to keep members, and non-members, up-to-date with certificated qualifications, including BAFE recognised training courses; of which fire extinguisher training is of paramount importance".
Visit the IFEDA website to read more.
Blackwood Fire are long time of members of IFEDA and also have a seat on the committee. It is important that standards within any industry are set high, and maintained, to ensure consumers have confidence in the products they are purchasing, especially when it comes to safety equipment and fire fighting equipment. We are totally committed to promoting quality and best practice within the industry and in highlighting the benefits to everyone of such supporting such practices.
Who are the FIA?
In their own words, the FIA are:
The Fire Industry Association, or the FIA as we are more commonly known, is a not-for-profit trade association with the aim of promoting the professional status of the UK fire safety industry.
The FIA was born out of a merger between two longstanding and well-respected trade associations, FETA (Fire Extinguishing Trade Association) and BFPSA (British Fire Protection Systems Association). The two associations had long shared a common interest in the promotion of the professional status of the UK fire industry and the FIA is proud to continue this work.
FETA/IFEDA also produced a comprehensive report on portable fire extinguishers and their use in the UK. You can view the full report here.