01495 220399

fire risk assessment Is a Fire Risk Assessment required by law in the UK?

Other than domestic dwellings, most other premises in the UK need a fire risk assessment by law. See below for details of what constitutes non-domestic premises’. In England & Wales the relevant legislation is The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Similar legislation applies to Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Learn more about The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and visit the UK government website for further information about Fire Safety in the Workplace and your responsibilities. 

Fire Risk Assessments in the Workplace

You must carry out a fire risk assessment in respect of a workplace, and keep it up to date. You must also keep a written record of your risk assessment if your business has 5 or more people.

What can happen if I don’t comply with fire legislation?

If you don’t comply with fire safety regulations, you can be fined, or even be sent to prison in some circumstances.

Who is responsible for fire safety and 'the responsible person'

The person(s) who has control of the premises is known as the ‘responsible person’ for fire safety purposes in respect of a business, or in other non-domestic premises. 

You are the ‘responsible person’ if you are:                                                                                                                       Building on fire infographic

  • The owner
  • The landlord
  • The employer
  • The occupier
  • Have control of the premises. This could be, e.g. a manager or an agent who has control.
  • Have paying guests

Sometimes there can be more than one ‘responsible person’, e.g. in shared premises, and in such cases they will need to co-operate and work together to manage their responsibilities.

What are non-domestic premises?

‘Non-domestic premises’ has a wide meaning and are:

  • all workplaces and commercial premises
  • all premises that the public have access to
  • the common areas of multi-occupied residential buildings 

Am I allowed to carry out my own fire risk assessment?

You can carry out your own fire risk assessment but you need to consider whether you are competent to do it.

You also need to remember that if the risk assessment identifies any risks, regardless of who actually carried out the fire risk assessment, the identified risks still need to be acted upon.  

Even if you use the services of a professional fire risk assessor, please be aware that the ‘responsible person’ still needs to be involved in the risk assessment process. 

What can Blackwood Fire do for You?

Fire Protection Services Types of Business

We carry out Fire Risk Assessments and Reviews for a wide range of organisations, workplaces and premises types, including in:  

  • Industry                                      
  • Catering
  • Offices
  • Public sector
  • Health organisations
  • Care homes
  • Surgeries
  • Shops
  • Factories
  • Garages & petrol stations
  • Pubs & clubs
  • Chapels & churches,
  • Recreational & youth facilities
  • and many other types of situation.

Our fire risk assessors are experts in their field and have many years experience. We offer a full and detailed survey of the relevant premises and present any findings and recommendations in a written report that will assist you in complying with relevant legislation.

Do Blackwood Fire carry out Fire Risk Assessment near me?

Our services are provided primarily across Wales and the west of England, including the major cities of Cardiff, Bristol, Swansea, Newport , Hereford, Gloucester and the surrounding areas, but also further afield.

Contact us now for further information on how to arrange your Fire Risk Assessment or Review, no matter how big or small or your requirements. All site surveys and quotes are FREE and without obligation. 


The FIA logo  CHAS - The Contractors Health and Safety Scheme IFEDA logo   BAFE logo  BSI Llogo   ANSUL logo Amerex Authorised Distributor logo